ReNEW Schools took over Schaumburg Elementary in the summer of 2013 in its continued mission to turnaround academically struggling schools in New Orleans. Through joy, integrity, growth, grit, empowerment, and excellence, our dedicated teachers and staff successfully elevated Schaumburg from failing status in 2015, as measured by School Performance Scores. As we continue making academic strides, we're working to restore tradition while infusing innovation through our STEM-based curriculum and diverse extracurricular activities.
On February 7, 2017, a tornado severely damaged our facility Schaumburg and the surrounding New Orleans East community. Our teachers, staff, and students demonstrated tremendous resolve and bravery by keeping all students safe. We look forward to returning home to our Grant St. location in the near future, as we continue developing lifelong learners and positive contributors to society.
The mission of ReNEW Schaumburg is to develop within our students the academic and social-emotional abilities necessary to be successful at any top-performing high school in the country, so that they can thrive in our 21st century economy and be leaders in their local communities.
- Joy: We take the time to celebrate our successes – both big and small. We smile.
- Integrity: We do the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Growth: We seek constant growth and act urgently on feedback from others because we’re not afraid to fail.
- Grit: We continue to work hard and persevere, even when we encounter an obstacle. We know that hard work is key to success.
- Empowerment: When something is not working, we are leaders who have the capacity and responsibility to fix it. We have the power to make our community a better place.
- Excellence: We strive to be at the top and will not settle for anything less.